Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:12:07 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20185 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  funny feeling in throat « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: funny feeling in throat  (Read 6544 times)
olsolo0

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »

I have had a funny feeling in my throat for the past 3 months.  Not painful, just kind of a fullness feeling where my thyroid is located.  I just had an ultrasound on my thyroid and it came back fine with no nodules, just lumpy - characteristic of hashi.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this feeling.  My doctors cannot feel anything in my throat in the surrounding areas.
Thanks, Lori
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »

Hi Lori,

I'm just guessing but there is a good chance there is some slight inflammation causing that symptom. You might try an anti-inflammatory diet for a few days and see if the feeling subsides - if so, you can be assured it is the culprit. If not, you might consider seeing a natural doctor or doctor of alternative medicine. It is worth getting a natural doctor's assessment with this disease. It tends to be a life-long battle although I am convinced it "doesn't have to be" so that is why I run this forum. So we can put our heads together (or should I say "thyroids together) LOL to find answers.

Let us know how you're doing. I hope others will also respond.

Mo Smiley
kinshealth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

I too get that feeling. I noticed it alot about 6 months and now my thyroid is swollen again. I still get that feeling. What's the anti-inflammatory diet?
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »

Here's a pretty good simple explanation of an anti-inflammatory diet:

http://www.metabolismadvice.com/anti_inflammatory_food/

Due to our thyroid issues, make sure you limit foods that are known to slow the thyroid down like soy (unfermented/tofu, etc), cashews, broccoli (and others in the Cruciferous family) - you might desire to research the foods that might affect the thyroid.

Let us know if you do it. It's awesome when we can encourage each other by our experiences.

Mo Smiley
orna

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »

I also have this feeling. My doctors too didn't find anything different about my gland.

Thinking about it, I remember that I had a serious flu (several days of sweating under the blanket in the bed) about a month ago after which this started.
Now I recall that several years ago I had Mono (aka Kissing disease) after which I also had a very long period of this feeling in the throat. It makes me think that it has to do with the fact that my immune system was in a high level of combat - possibly causing a stronger attack on my thyroid, resulting in that feeling.

I would be interested to know if you can link the onset of the feeling for you to some high immune activity.

Best. Orna
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

Orna,

I think you're on to something. I find my symptoms tend to "come and go" and some obviously cyclic. I've always though a symptom calendar would be a great help in figuring out connections between symptoms and triggers. I think it would be a great way to troubleshoot after the information is analyzed over time.

Hashi's is like a puzzle sometimes, isn't it?

Mo Smiley
grnmtnmama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »

I have also had a feeling of tightness in my throat at times that I do feel *for me* seems to be related to a period of inflammation from a hightened immune response. I do have some food allergies that I attribute the inflammation to, and lately this seems to also be affecting some joints (particularly the knees, but used to affect my neck and upper back).

Many of my health issues, I think, are due to an unhealthy gut (but, of course...what is that due to??? the big question!!!). If I accidentally eat the foods I am allergic to (like eggs), I start getting achy joints and muscles and many of the other typical "hypo" symptoms. I think that my body is forming an immune response and attacking the "foreign" proteins of that food that pass through my (now) permeable intestinal lining.

I try my best to stay away from the foods I feel add to flare-ups and am trying to encorporate more anti-inflammatory and gut-healing foods in my diet.

As an aside, several times when I have had this full feeling in my throat and have also been feeling very hypothyroid, I was also found to be anemic (iron deficient anemia--have yet to figure out what is causing it, but my guess is poor intestinal absorption). This has been an interesting discovery as of late, because for years I was attributing many of my symptoms to Hashi's, but I may have just been very anemic at the time. BUT...I have certainly realized that all of these issues are intertwined...which leads us to that puzzle, like Mo said.

Living with more questions than answers Wink
~Janet~
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  funny feeling in throat « previous next »
    Jump to: