Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 02:42:42 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20185 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Hashimoto and Anxiety: Does It Get Any Better? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hashimoto and Anxiety: Does It Get Any Better?  (Read 2659 times)
Ellie

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »

Merry X-mas and a happy, healthier New Year to all my Hashimoto's Fellow-Sufferers!

I am ecstatic to join this Forum, as it provides more moral support and empathy than the medical community or, regrettably,  one's own family, neither of whom seem to get what a Hashimoto's sufferer goes through. (There is no external bleeding, you see, and all your tests report physiologically healthy organs, except for those arcane "thyroid antibodies." Glazed look; dismissive attitude; and patronizing statements amounting to "Pull yourself together and stop wallowing" or "How long is this [nightmare] going to last?")

I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and "subclinical/functional hypothyriodism" and am on Synthroid 50mg. Other than the usual symptoms, I present with debilitating dizziness; hypoglycemic episodes; hair loss; drastic blood pressure fluctuations; and sudden anxiety to be alone (nights) for fear of my blood pressure and heart rate dropping dangerously low, as they do nightime. This causes a problem for my husband to travel on business, and as for me, I can no longer travel alone, while previously I was combing the world by myself and loving it. The loss of independence is demolishing to my self-esteem;  the anxiety is causing me mild hypercortisolism despite seemingly healthy adrenals and pituitary.

Question. Is anyone experiencing similar blood pressure and heart rate drops and, especially, anxiety to be alone, or is it just me? If so, does it get any better with treatment?

With wishes for better health.
Ellie

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:39:06 PM by Ellie » Logged
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »

Ellie,

I am so sorry this response is soooo late. My computer is down and has been for a couple months so it has been difficult for me to be consistent on the forum.

First of all, your fears at night are triggering by real concerns so please don't feel like you are fearful for no reason. I have had those feelings at night and it is MISERABLE!

My question would be where are your levels and what are you currently taking?

My worst symptoms were when I was on Synthroid and steroids at the same time. They are not a good combination.

I always recommend a person consider a long distance, over the phone, consult with my doctor because I know how hard it is to find a good doctor. See my home page and the video describing my doctor in the post "Can Hashimoto's be reversed".

If your diet is pretty good, then I would immediately look at the meds you are on. Do you like your doctor? What are they doing for you? It was when I had the symptoms you are describing that I had to switch to a natural doctor to get Naturethroid as traditional docs would not even consider the switch. Very sad.

You will never regret going the natural road though because there are so many other components to healing than just to "take a pill". Those things are not discussed (normally) in the traditional field.

Hope this helped. I hope you are doing better and check out the posts about gluten. It could be a GREAT help to get a test for gluten sensitivity!

Mo Smiley
Ellie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:11:26 AM »

Hi Mo --

Thanks for your response and the empathy: they really help!

I have been on Synthroid 50mcg=0.05mg for close to 2 months now, and while there has been some improvement, I am still 1/3 of the time symptomatic; and when I am, the symptoms are DRASTIC. For instance, tonight /Jan 21, I have been having hyperthyroidism episodes non-stop for hours [blood pressure 150(160)/96, Heart Rate 90]. Really traumatic. And yes, I do take bioidentical Estradiol+Estriol (I love it!) and a miniscule, nominal amount of bioidentical Progesterone.

I have followed your link to Dr. Boydston -- THANK YOU! He is sending me to a whole lot of labs, incl. gluten sensitivity. He doesn't overpromise, which I trust, but I hope to God he knows what he is doing, as he is my last hope to get my previously dynamic life back. Is he helping you much and did HE put you on Naturethroid? I didn't think homeopaths and chiropractors were licensed to prescribe medication. Speaking of Naturethroid, what is your experience with it, and what about the side effects?

By the way, Mo, are you able to eat deserts (chocolate, cakes...)? I don't seem to for close to a year, since I have the Hashimoto's; my reaction is hypoglycemic, with no actual hypoglycemia present??

Take care and hope your PC settled down. One's entire life is on it, isn't it!

Best,
Ellie 

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »

Hi Ellie,

To be honest, my journey has been up an down. Picture a rollercoaster, with all it's twist and turns, loops and straight aways. I feel as though having Hashi's has been traveling on one of those! Sometimes going up (hyper) and sometimes going down (hypo). My greatest symtpom has always been head inflammation which is more of the antibody issue as far as I can tell. Earlier in my diagnoses, I had a ton of issues though also with being hyper and hypo and each has their scary symptoms. Since I've been on Naturthroid, I have not had as much of the hypo feelings and few bouts with hyper (meaning heart rate issues and anxiety/slugglishness cycles).

Dr. B did not prescribe my Nauturthroid. A natural doctor was able to about 9 years ago and that was continued by another natural doctor whom I go to just to monitor my TSH. I found that until this year, no one really understood the gluten connection with hashi's so there was little to work on besides hunches.

Dr. B is the first to look at my whole system. More accurately, he took a "snapshot" through lab work to help us see what was happening to the systems of the body that ultimately controlled the thyroid. In a nutshell, the gut is always the first place to deal with so now that I know I have gluten senstivity and leaky gut, we can only start there. I am still at that point because I have been a BAD girl and haven't gone off of gluten get due to holiday visitors (we had an out of the country guest for over 2 months) and it was too difficult to make the switch during that time. I wanted to research the cross contamination issues so I am sure I will be successful with the diet as it is VERY important to healing the gut to be as perfect as possible to keep the healing cycle continuing. This may take 6 months to 2 years (hoping for the shorter time period of course) but he will recheck the intestinal permeability test in a few months once I've had a 3-6 month period of healing. This is the FIRST time I feel the healing can be monitored and it gives me motivation to stick it out.

On the chocolate issues - I don't do well with sugar - period! I usually have issues with depression and cycles of cravings if I have sugar. However, I got so frustrated last year, I threw my whole diet out the window after feeling like I had tried EVERYTHING before finding Dr. B and just went bananas not caring. I am sure I did more damage in the process so I have more healing to do now but I had no motivation as I felt there were no answers! Now I feel different and I have a whole bunch of reasons to have faith I am on the right track for the first time EVER!

Keep me posted on your journey and stay positive. You are on the right track!

Mo Smiley
deb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:18:40 AM »

If you have candida albicans - yeast - anywhere in your body, eating sweets and other carbs will feed the yeast and can produce many of the symptoms you're describing, including depression and sluggishness - and depression as well.

Our family went through the Body Ecology Diet some time ago and felt wonderful on it; the premise behind it is to starve out yeast in the body. Absolutely NO simple carbs or most grains were allowed - no wheat, no dairy, no legumes, no starchy vegetables, very little fruit - while we were on the initial phase of it, which we kept up for two months.  I'm trying to follow it myself but it's hard to get the rest of my family to buy into it.  Roll Eyes  http://www.bodyecology.com/ This is also where we learned about cultured vegetables, and about coconut water and coconut oil.

To make it more attractive to the family (the hubby Roll Eyes) I'm going more Paleo - easy to find lots of information about this online. The premise here is that humans evolved for millions of years before becoming farmers, so the diet we've evolved to eat is grain-free, consisting instead of meats and vegetables and fruits and nuts: no grains, no dairy. http://www.thepaleodiet.com/ It would also have the same effect on yeast in the body, since there are no processed carbs of any kind. You do have to go easy on the root veg like potatoes -no need to have them at every meal the way some people do in order to satisfy carbs cravings. It's also worth noting that if you're having cravings for starchy carb-loaded foods, odds are good that a yeast overgrowth in your system is behind it; when they're starving and dying, they release chemicals that make you feel not-so-good, and feeding them again reduces that sensation while also flooding the body with happy hormones - very addictive.
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Hashimoto and Anxiety: Does It Get Any Better? « previous next »
    Jump to: