Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:32:14 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20185 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Palpitations « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Palpitations  (Read 5103 times)
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I mentioned I would post my article on palpitations on the board. I am trying to figure out if this board is html friendly so the photos can also be transfered but it doesn't appear so at the moment so I will just post the link instead.

http://hashimotosthyroiditis.googlepages.com/home

I would be interested what you think. I am new to this article thing but I believe I have something to offer in the way of my journey as others seek answers for their health too. I wish I would have found others early on that shared their stories but that was before the internet.

I believe that this could be away for us to find other like-minded Hashi suffers too.

If you have a story relating to palpitations, please post a reply and tell us about it!

Thanks so much,

Mo
Heather.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:40:56 AM »

Hello,
This is a very interesting topic for me.  I've been having palpitations for probably close to a year now.  Sometimes it feels like my heart is literally going to "beat out of my chest."  I haven't been diagnosed with Hasimoto's for a long time, but I'm sure I've had it for a while.  My regular doctor put me on a heart medicine called Inderal.  I recently went to an endocrinologist and described these palpitations to him.  He said they probably had nothing to do with the Hashimoto's, even though I've read numerous reports and articles that say palpitations and fast heart rate is linked to this disease.  He suggested I might have a heart problem and that I go see a cardiologist, but I honestly believe now that my palpitations are a direct result of this disease.

Thanks for sharing this information!  
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »

Hello Heather,

Because I am not a doctor, I have no right to diagnose or tell you how to treat your palpitations. However, I can offer my advice. I am a long time sufferer who has almost completely eliminated my palpitations through diet and lifestyle changes. I only have exercise induced palpitations still but they are even gradually minimizing. I would be concerned about being put on a heart medication, especially at your age. (aren't you just 20 years old?)

If your doctor has not diagnosed you with heart problems, and you haven't explored possible allergic causes for these palpitations, you may desire to eliminate that possibility before becoming dependent on a medication that will have it's own side effects. The doctor's wanted to put me on a Beta Blocker when I was in my 30's. I took the road of diet and journaled everything I was eating. I learned that MSG and other preservatives (plus vinegar) were causing my palpitations. After eliminating those substances, I was free of them. Oh, also causing my palpitations were my asthma medications. (inhalers)

It's very important to be sure you are not having reactions to substances as your base problem. If that is the case, taking heart medication is just putting a bandaid on the whole situation and at the same time, possibly creating side effects that will need more drugs to treat! This cycle is not only dangerous, it is also expensive. Take some time to write down everything you put in your mouth and everything you are exposed to.

IF you have the funds, you can do this in one hour or so by getting a consultation/evaluation with a NAET doctor in your area. I wish I had this years ago. You will spend anywhere between $75 and possibily $150 for an evaluation but it's soooo valuable. And it's so easy! If you choose, you can be treated and have these allergies removed easily. I wish I had the chance to do this 20 years ago! Here's the link where you can find a doctor in your area:

http://naet.com/

Hope some of this has helped!

Mo Smiley
CDB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:46:45 AM »

Wow!

This is extremely handy! I was only diagnosed with Hashimotos about 3 weeks ago! I have been suffering palpitations for around 3 months. As a young (and stupid) woman i got myself mixed up in some recreational drugs. This was extremely dangerous considering i had NO idea i had hashimotos.
One night after I came home, i was staying in my house all alone. I had the WORST panic attack ever! I thought I was going to pass out and die! I called the ambulance and they came and said my heart rate was high but i would be fine.
Ever since that night a few months ago I have had panic attacks roughly every 2 weeks. I have also been told that I should see a psychologist even tho I think these palpitations are a result of my Hashimotos.
Sometimes I have palpitations whilst Im trying to sleep, or if I"m at work and walk 10m I feel as if I have just been running for 5 mins. I am only 19 years old and so this is a great concern to me. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with a feeling that my heart has stopped (even though at the back of my mind i know it hasn't). This occurs perhaps if i have a strong heart beat that then settles down, i immediately think *where did that strong beating feeling go?*
I monitor my heart myself on days when I am more anxious. Sometimes it is around 90, sometimes it is around 65. This freaks me out a bit. I also swear that sometimes if im feeling my pulse, sometimes it is irregular. Is this normal? Perhaps I am over analysing.
I will definately give all the alternatives a go. My mother is scared that my hashimotos might be "masking" a heart condition. What are your opinions?

Thankyou for the article Smiley
CDB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:49:13 AM »

Also
Sometimes my tongue feels swollen and I can feel my pulse in my tongue
Very freaky!

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »

Hi CDB,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. As far as your question on palpitations go, I would try modifying your diet to see if you can connect them to something youj are eating. This detective work usually produces awesome results leaving you able to control them and, more importantly, link your palpitations to food sensitivities rather than heart problems. It's amazing how the heart and digestion affect each other.

Here's some thoughts too... are you taking any over-the-counter medications? Some pain relievers have caffeine in them. You should examine all foods and environmental exposures to be sure you aren't having allergic reactions. As I've recommended to others, finding a NAET doctor in your area would be able to easily rule out some of your concerns or address issues much easier than you think. In fact, they can even let you know if any of the drugs you took are still creating stress in your body. It is worth while to get the initial evaluation which usually runs between $75.00-$150.00 depending on your location.

Here's the website where you can find a doctor near you:

www.naet.com

I hope this helped and keep us posted.

Mo Smiley
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Palpitations « previous next »
    Jump to: